Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) in Bonn

Ministry Structure and organisation

The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) does not have the usual substructure of government agencies. For the execution of its projects it commissions what are known as  implementing organisation. These organisations then work with executing agencies in the partner country concerned; those agencies are selected by the government of that country.

There are around 1,230 people working at the BMZ in Germany. About 51 per cent of the staff are based at the Ministry's main office in Bonn, while the remaining 49 per cent work at the Berlin office. A certain number of BMZ staff are regularly seconded from the Ministry for a few years at a time to carry out development policy assignments in various parts of the world. At present there are 130 BMZ officials deployed abroad

Leadership

The BMZ is headed by Minister Gerd Müller, Parliamentary State Secretary Maria Flachsbarth, Parliamentary State Secretary Norbert Barthle and State Secretary Martin Jäger. The Federal Government Commissioner for Global Freedom of Religion, Markus Grübel (Member of the German Parliament), is also part of the leadership team.

The Personal Representative of the German Chancellor for Africa, Günter Nooke, is at the same time a Director of the BMZ.

The Directorates-General

The BMZ carries out a multitude of tasks. These include planning and programming German development cooperation, cooperating with civil society and the private sector, cooperating with partner countries and with multilateral organisations, and carrying out development information and education work.

The Ministry is divided into six directorates-general, which are responsible for the various tasks.

Ministry officials abroad

BMZ employees do not only work in Berlin and Bonn; the BMZ and the Federal Foreign Office second officers to work in the field of economic cooperation in partner countries and international organisations. Their role is to coordinate development activities. About 130 BMZ employees are currently working in this capacity either in German foreign missions or at international organisations.

The BMZ seconds staff to the following embassies and consulates-general: Abidjan, Abuja, Accra, Addis Ababa, Amman, Ankara, Antananarivo, Baghdad, Bamako, Beirut, Belgrade, Bishkek, Bogotá, Brasilia, Cairo, Chisinau, Cotonou, Dakar, Dar Es Salaam, Dhaka, Erbil, Gaborone, Guatemala City, Hanoi, Islamabad, Jakarta, Juba, Kabul, Kampala, Kathmandu, Khartoum, Kiev, Kigali, Kinshasa, La Paz, Lilongwe, Lima, Lomé, Lusaka, Maputo, Mazar-i-Sharif, Mexico City, Nairobi, New Delhi, Niamey, Nouakchott, Ouagadougou, Phnom Penh, Pretoria, Pristina, Quito, Rabat, Ramallah, Rangoon, Tegucigalpa, Tbilisi, Tirana, Tunis, Ulan-Bator, Vientiane, Windhoek, Yaoundé.

The BMZ also seconds staff to the permanent German missions at the following international institutions: United Nations (Geneva, New York and Rome), Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (Paris), European Union (Brussels).

The BMZ also has staff on the boards of the World Bank and of the African, Asian, Inter-American and Caribbean Development Banks. (As at 2021)

Exterior view of the German Parliament (Reichstag) in Berlin

Development policy in Parliament Internal link

The German Bundestag (Parliament) addresses development policy in various ways. These include debates on the fundamental principles of development policy, debates on topical issues or specific regions and the decisions taken by the Committee on Economic Cooperation and Development (AwZ) or other committees and bodies.