We need a paradigm shift; we have to realise that Africa is not the continent of cheap commodities but that the people of Africa need infrastructure and a future.
With the publication of the 'Cornerstones of a Marshall Plan with Africa', the Federal Development Ministry kicked off a discussion about what its cooperation with Africa should look like in the future. The African partner countries with which Germany is engaged in development cooperation, as well as the private sector and academia, the churches, society and policymakers, were all invited to discuss the ideas and solutions proposed in the Marshall Plan and to help develop them further.
Thank you very much for the many valuable contributions to this discussion!
We are now evaluating the comments and suggestions we received via email, post or the website. They will be then incorporated into the next version of the Marshall Plan with Africa.
Sie finden die deutsche Fassung (Stand Januar 2017) des Marshallplan mit Afrika hier (PDF 1,6 MB).
Vous trouvez la version française (mise à jour du janvier 2017) du Plan Marshall avec l'Afrique ici (PDF 1,7 MB).
The plan is divided into the following chapters (as at January 2017):
- Africa and Europe – A new partnership for development and peace
- 10 starting points for a Marshall Plan with Africa
- Chapter 1: Africa – Europe's partner continent
- Chapter 1.1: Cooperation based on values and interests
- Chapter 1.2: Africa has tremendous assets
- Chapter 1.3: The continent of opportunity
- Chapter 1.4: Building on African ideas and structures
- Chapter 2: The essence of the Marshall Plan
- Chapter 2.1: New forms of cooperation – reform partnerships
- Chapter 2.2: New rules of cooperation
- Chapter 2.3: A new dimension of financing
- Chapter 3: The pillars of the Marshall Plan
- Pillar 1: Economic activity, trade and employment
- Pillar 2: Peace, security and stability
- Pillar 3: Democracy, rule of law and human rights
- Chapter 4: The foundations of the Marshall Plan
- Chapter 4.1: Food and agriculture
- Chapter 4.2: Protecting natural resources
- Chapter 4.3: Energy and infrastructure
- Chapter 4.4: Health, education and social protection
- Chapter 5: Outlook
- "The cornerstones of a Marshall Plan with Africa – A new partnership for development, peace and a better future": Speech by Federal Minister Gerd Müller at the German-African Business Summit, 9 February 2017 in Nairobi
- "The key elements for a Marshall Plan with Africa" – Speech by Federal Minister Müller at the Dialogue with African Ambassadors in Germany, 24.11.2016 in Berlin
- "Jalons d’un plan Marshall avec l’Afrique" – Discours du Ministre fédéral Gerd Müller au Dialogue avec les ambassadeurs africains en Allemagne, le 24.11.2016 à Berlin