Content

Other institutions

Multilateral Fund for the Implementation of the Montreal Protocol


The Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer aims to protect the ozone layer and prevent emissions of ozone-depleting substances. To this end it was agreed in 1990 to establish a Multilateral Fund, into which industrialised countries pay, in line with a key laid down by the United Nations. The Fund is used to cover the additional costs entailed to developing countries by compliance with the terms of the Montreal Protocol.

The Fund uses international implementing organisations such as the World Bank, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). Since the replenishment negotiations in 1996, it has been possible to meet up to 20 per cent of contributions in the form of bilateral cooperation activities. The Budget Committee of the German Bundestag, or parliament, thus decided in 1996 that 80 per cent of German contributions should be paid directly into the Fund, while the remaining 20 per cent should be provided in the form of practical inputs in partner countries.

From 1990 to 2005, 2.475 billion US dollars were pledged to the Multilateral Fund. Of this total 400.4 million US dollars came from the negotiations held at the end of 2005 for the period 2006 to 2008. Germany contributed 10.844 per cent, which translates as 34.989 million euros according to the exchange rate set by the Conference of Parties. Of this sum 80 per cent (27.991 million euros) will be paid directly into the Fund, while 20 per cent (6.998 million euros) will be provided in the form of bilateral cooperation in partner countries. This makes Germany the third largest donor, behind the USA and Japan.

Contact

Multilateral Fund
for the Implementation
of the Montreal Protocol

Suite 4100
1000, de la Gauchetière Street West
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3B 4W5
Phone: +1 / 514 / 2 82 11 22
Fax: +1 / 514 / 2 82 00 68

Service-Links

BMZ glossary

Close window